Gamesplanet Lab FAQ
- Why is Gamesplanet getting into video games crowdfunding?
- Gamesplanet already distributes pre-order games upon request from publishers, so it’s only a matter of positioning Gamesplanet a bit higher up in the distribution chain and getting rid of the constraints of offering the same product as everyone else, always at the same time, price point and margins as competitors.
Gamesplanet is a video games downloading distributor. It is in its digital distributor’s DNA to widen its offer through selected projects that, available through pre-sale, will become independent quality games, which could potentially be distributed everywhere.
With crowdfunding, Gamesplanet wants to submit selected projects to clients early on and give a chance to games that may not have made it on the market due to the lack of support from the traditional funding industry (or that would have made it out in a different form as a result of compromises between resources and market imperatives.) The goal is for those selected to make better games, away from the constraints imposed by financial considerations and strengthened by backers’ feedback.
With crowdfunding, Gamesplanet wants to offer backers new rewards compared to video games distributed traditionally: 1) follow up and as much participation of players in the creative process as possible for an unprecedented relationship between the player and the development studio; 2) access for game support during its publication but also access to a whole new series of rewards, especially artistic ones, closely linked to the creative process (artwork, drawings, pencil originals, unique pieces, private meetings with creators,…)
With crowdfunding, Gamesplanet wants to guarantee the use of Digital Rights Management which will give priority to the client’s experience (being able to install games on all devices) instead of systematic policing; it also wants to guarantee that a resident client won’t be used for purely marketing purposes.
With crowdfunding, Gamesplanet wants to guarantee as much as possible the quality of games offered to backers, to commit to publication dates and push positive values in games. This is possible since Metaboli is committed to a rigorous selection of projects (through an ad hoc selection committee,) to quality control upon delivery (through a panel of backer gamers who grade the product) and to contractual relations with each project before its presentation to backers(the project creator doesn’t just commit to the crowfunding platform’s General Terms of Sale, he also signs a contract with Metaboli).
With crowdfunding, Gamesplanet wants to guarantee that authors will be paid and that they’ll be able to continue creating inside a virtuous circle.
To formalize these commitments, shared by project creators through a contract, Metaboli is setting up a specific « Gamesplanet Lab » label that you can find here.
- What kind of innovation does Gamesplanet bring to the video games crowdfunding sector?
- 100% focus on video games to avoid discussing projects that are out of our area of expertise, a pre-evaluation of all projects to avoid presenting backers multiple projects of very different quality, a guarantee of professionalism by reminding project creators of how important it is not to disappoint their backers. See our Chart here.
- Why has Gamesplanet teamed up with Ulule.com?
- Ulule is a major player in crowdfunding: it is the leading platform in Europe with more than 800 projects funded, the first multilingual platform (French, English, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese,) and it fits perfectly with our idea of tomorrow’s digital distribution through funding based on a number of products available for pre-sale. Add to that a strong technological platform, 100% safe payments, a successful interface and you see why we chose Ulule to help develop Gamesplanet Lab!
- How are the projects available on Gamesplanet Lab selected?
- We talk a lot with each other, we discuss ideas with developers, we look at what they’ve done in the past, how and why, we think together about what we can and want to do with it, about what type of games we would like to play… We make sure that everyone has compatible intentions, we put it all together and we shake it up!
When we like the result, we believe it makes sense to present it to you, so we sign and we fully commit to making the project happen!
- How do you submit a project?
- Contact us at: email@example.com